Age Restricted Content
More Recipes You May Like
- 350g dark brown soft sugar
- 300ml sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 400g self-raising flour
- 6 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp bicarb of soda
- 400g carrot
- 200g sultanas
- 100g desiccated coconut
For the cream cheese
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g cream cheese
- 250g sugar
How to make Spiced Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
I always couple my Carrot Cake with an American inspired Cream Cheese. This is essentially just buttercream made with half butter and half cream cheese but the result is a wonderful creamy texture that holds up to being spread all over the cake or piped on cupcakes too.
1.the sugar, oil and eggs until combined. You will need to until the sugar is all dissolved and this should take 3 minutes or so. Add the orange extract.
2. Combine the flour, mixed spice and bicarb in a separate bowl and fold this into the wet ingredients a third at a time.
3. Add the carrot, sultanas and coconut to the cake mixture and fold these through until all are well covered.
4. Spoon the cake mix into two lined 8” sandwich tins and bake in a 170°C oven for around 35 minutes. The cake is done when it has risen and springs back when pressed lightly. If you are unsure, a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake should come out clean or with only a few crumbs on it.
5. Leave the cakes to cool on a cooling rack in their tins for 10 minutes before turning them out to cool completely.
6. To make the cream cheese, cream the butter in a freestanding mixer for 2-3 minutes until soft.
7. Add half of thesugar and mix until combined, then add half of the cream cheese and mix again.
8. Repeat this until all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined and theis light and creamy.
Use thisto sandwich your two layers of Carrot Cake together. You will also have sufficient to cover the top and sides of the cake too if you like!
Recipe courtesy of Charlotte White from Restoration Cake.