1) Bring 4L of water to boil in a large pot with 2 1/2 tbsp salt. Add the spinach, pushing it down into the water with a skimmer, and immediately remove it to a bowl of ice water.
2) Drain the spinach once cooled (don't leave it in for too long) and squeeze out the water. Divide spinach into 4 sections and compress each into a ball (they can be wrapped in clingfilm and refrigerated for up to a day).
3) Cut each ball in half and then in half again to chop up the spinach.
4) Place 4 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the garlic to the pan and shake the pan often, for about 1 min or until the garlic is lightly browned. Add the spinach and saute for 2 to 3 mins. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste. It will seem dry. Remove the spinach to a bowl, sprinkle with a little olive oil and garnish with lemon wedges.
- Try adding some chopped anchovy with the garlic.
- For creamed spinach: substitute butter for half of the oil and add 240ml of double cream as you cook the spinach.