2) For the rub: Mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside until ready to use.
3) For the basting liquid: Combine the ingredients in small bowl and place by the griddle with a brush for basting.
4) Place chicken breast down. Grab tail and cut along the back bone, do the same on the other side and remove the back bone.
5) Add the marinade to a resealable bag and add the chicken. Let marinate for 1 to 2 hrs in the refrigerator.
6) Remove chicken from marinade and pat skin dry. Coat the skin of the chicken with the rub and carefully place some of the rub under skin. Return to the refrigerator for a minimum of 20 mins.
7) Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and place the bone sides down. Tuck legs and wings to breast. Butcher string is great for this, just cross the legs and tie them so that only the joint of the thigh is touching the griddle. Griddle over direct flame or high heat for 10 to 15 mins with the griddle closed.
8) After 10 to 15 mins turn the heat to medium-low or move chicken from direct heat and griddle until cooked through, basting every 15 mins.
9) When cooked through, remove the chicken from the griddle and peel off the skin. Place the chicken, flesh side down, on the griddle over high heat to get griddle marks. Place the reserved skin on the top level of griddle to crisp. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Chop the crisped skin on a cutting board and sprinkle over the chicken.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.