- 600g Mozambique prawn meat
- 20g fresh coriander,
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch spring onion, finely
- 20g fresh chives, finely
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 5g salt
- 16 Patagonian squid, cleaned
For the oven-dried red peppers:
- 2 large red peppers
- Olive oil
- Sprig of thyme
For the white bean and bokkom ragout:
- 200g dried haricot beans
- 1L fresh chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 potato, cut into small blocks
- 15g salt
- 1 dried bokkom fillet, finely ground
- 100g cubed butter
- Pinch of saffron
- Splash white wine
- 250ml fish stock
- 50ml creme fraiche
- 50g Parmesan cheese, finely
- 30g fresh chives,
How to make Squid and prawns with bean and bokkom ragout
Squid and prawn preparation:
1) Coarsely the prawn meat. Mix together the prawn, coriander, garlic, spring onion, chives, lemon juice and zest, olive oil and salt.
2) Place prawn mix into abag and fill the squid tubes half full.
3) Place the stuffed squid in refrigerator until required.Oven-dried red peppers:
1) Rub the peppers with olive oil.
2) Place in a hot oven until the skin blisters. Place the peppers in a heatproof bowl and cover with clingfilm.
3) Once the peppers are cool, peel of the skins and cut peppers into large rectangles.
4) Toss in a touch of olive oil and fresh thyme, and store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator until required.Squid and prawns with white bean and bokkom ragout:
1) Soak beans overnight in fresh cold water.
2) Cook beans in chicken stock with bay leaf until tender; you may have to add a little water if the stock cooks off before the beans are cooked. Rinse under cold water and set aside.
3) Cook the potatoes in salted water with the saffron, once potatoes are cooked, set aside.
4) Saute the potatoes, beans and bokkoms with half the butter, add a splash of white wine, let the alcohol cook off.
5) Add the fish stock and creme fraiche and let the ragout simmer until the liquid starts thickening. Remove from the heat, add the cheese and remaining butter.
6) Stir until the butter is incorporated into the sauce and add thechives, check the seasoning.
7) Saute the stuffed squid in butter over a medium heat until lightly golden.
8) Allow the squid to rest in a warm place for five minutes in the pan.
Serve the ragout in four open bowls and arrange the squid on top of the ragout. Garnish with the red peppers.