Serves: Approximately 4 dozen cookies1) Line baking sheets with aluminium foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Alternatively, you can use a silicone baking mat.
2) In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients, except hard candies, until dough ball forms. Split dough in half and form into disks.
3) Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/2cm thick. Cut out cookies with over sized (10 to 12-cm) ornament-shaped cookie cutters. Place cookies on prepared baking sheets spaced 2-cm apart. On each of the large cookies, cut out 3 or 4 smaller shapes using 1 to 2cm cookie cutters. If cookies are to be used as ornaments, make a hole at the top with a straw. Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
4) While cookies chill, place unwrapped hard candies, sorted by color, in separate zip-top resealable bags. Squeeze air from bags and seal; crush candies with rolling pin. Set aside.
5) Preheat oven to 190C/Gas 5.
6) Remove cookies from refrigerator and fill centres of cookies with crushed hard candies. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until edges just start to turn golden. Cool completely on baking sheet on a rack. Repeat with remaining dough.
7) Store completely cooled cookies separated by waxed paper in an air-tight container for 1 week.