Serves: 36 miniature sticky buns or 12 full size
1) For the dough: Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2) Cream together the sugar and 45g of butter. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Roll dough out flat into a rectangle. Top dough with 1/3 of the remaining butter. Fold the dough over the butter and put in the refrigerator for 1 hr. Remove the dough, fold again with 1/3 of the butter, and refrigerate for 1 more hr. Repeat folding process 1 more time, using the last 1/3 of the butter.
3) For the filling: Cream the butter. Add the sugar and vegetable shortening and mix together. Add the honey and vanilla and mix well.
4) For the assembly: Put enough filling into each cup of a muffin pan so that it covers the bottom. Sprinkle some pecans over the filling in each cup.
5) Flatten out a piece of dough. Egg wash the surface of the dough. Sprinkle with cinnamon powder, sugar, golden sultanas and pecans, to taste. Roll the dough into a log and then cut into 2.5cm pieces. Place 1 piece into each muffin cup. Bake for 10 to 15 mins, or until golden brown. Place the muffin pan on a cookie sheet and flip over. Sticky buns should come out with a rounded caramelised pecan top.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.