Made this? How was it?
- 700g strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 3 tbsp sugar
- cream, recipe follows
For the shortbread:
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 360ml double cream
- 360ml double cream, chilled
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp freshly lemon zest
How to make Strawberry shortcake
1) Mix the strawberries with 3 tbsp sugar and refrigerate while the juices develop, at least 30 minutes.
2) Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
3) Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, remaining 2 tbsp sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Add the double cream and mix until just combined. Place the mixture in an ungreased 20cm square pan and bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
4) Remove the shortcake from the pan and place on a rack to cool slightly. Cut into 6 pieces and split each piece in half horizontally.
5) Make thecream: using a mixer or electric beaters, beat the cream, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest in a medium bowl until soft peaks form, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
6) Spoon some of the strawberries with their juice onto each shortcake bottom. Top with a generous dollop ofcream and then the shortcake top. Spoon more strawberries over the top and serve.
- Chocolate port cupcakes
- Lemon blueberry cupcakes
- Hopped-up on caffeine rich chocolat...
- Glazed caramelised roasted banana b...
- Angel Food Cake
- Peach-berry shortcake cupcakes
- Peach bellini
- Passionate cosmos
- Royal Jack
- Rose 75
- Only in Essex steamer clam cakes wi...
- Fresh Cream Cheesecake with Summer....