1. Prepare a grill for medium heat.
2. Bring 4 cups water to a boil and add the farro and salt. Bring to a simmer and simmer until cooked, about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool.
3. Grill the spring onions until charred, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the spring onions to a blender with the basil, vinegar, salt and pepper and process. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil and mix until the consistency of pesto.
4. For the vegetables, drizzle the courgettes and squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill on medium heat, about 5 minutes each side. Set aside to cool, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
5. Grill the red peppers on medium heat, about 5 minutes each side. Place in a bowl and cover in plastic wrap to steam for about 8 minutes. Peel off the skins, remove the seeds and cut into 1/2-inch strips.
6. Combine the farro, courgettes, squash, peppers and basil in a large bowl. Toss with the spring onion pesto and season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Drizzle the scallops with olive oil and sprinkle with Herbes de Provence, salt and pepper. Grill over medium heat, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
8. Portion the salad and serve with the scallops.
Recipe courtesy of Marc Murphy