Made this? How was it?
- 2 (990g) tins plum tomatoes with basil
- 60ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves,
- 1 medium onion,
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 125ml red wine
- 50g Parmesan
- 1 tsp salt
- 250ml water
- 15g fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
For the meatballs and ribs:
- 450g sirloin or lean beef mince, pork, turkey, veal, chicken, or any combination
- 2 eggs
- 6 garlic cloves, finely , plus 3 garlic cloves,
- 100g seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 50g Parmesan cheese
- 125ml milk
- 140g plain flour
- 450g pork spare ribs, trimmed
- 250ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 170g tinned tomato puree, for sauce and ribs
How to make Sunday sauce with meatballs
1) Drain the plum tomatoes in a colander to extract the juice, breaking the tomatoes apart with your hands. Discard the pulp and set aside.
2) Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add 4 cloves garlic, the onion, chilli and black pepper. Saute until the onion is soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
3) Add juiced tomatoes, red wine, Parmesan and salt. Add the tomato puree and the water and stir together over medium heat.
*Cook's Note: Tomato paste should be added after making meatballs and ribs.
For the meatballs:
1) Put the meat in a mixing bowl. Beat the eggs and add them to the meat along with 6 cloves garlic, the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, Parmesan and milk. Mix this all together with your hands. Wet your hands with water and continue to wet them as you pinch meat from the bowl and roll into 5-cm balls. Roll the balls in the flour.
2) Heat 1/2-cup of oil in a large skillet. Add 3 cloves garlic and saute until golden brown. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the meatballs and saute over medium-high heat, turning them until they are brown all over.
*Cook's Note: As soon as you can pick them up with a fork, they are ready. You don't want them to be well done. If the meatball slides off the fork when you pick it up, it needs to cook a little longer.
For the ribs:
1) Cut the ribs apart and remove the membrane. Saute them in 125ml oil until very brown and remove.
2) Return the garlic to the oil and add tomato puree(for the sauce) to the pan; Cook, stirring, over medium heat for about 3 minutes until it softens. Remove from the heat and add to the sauce.
3) Add the meatballs and spareribs to the sauce. Bring to an easy boil, then simmer over low heat for 2 hours. Add the basil and simmer for 15 minutes more. The spareribs should be very tender, falling off the bone and the meatballs should float in the sauce.
- Kalua pig
- Rockin' roast pork shoulder with sp...
- Smokey apple cinnamon meatloaf
- Beer in the rear chicken and BBQ sa...
- Stuffed beef tenderloin
- Lowcountry smothered pork chops
- Fried pork chops
- Maple-glazed pork chops
- Roasted turkey with maple cranberry...
- Lady and Sons' chicken in wine sauc...
- Loin of pork with fennel and garlic...
- Pot roast