Made this? How was it?
- 2 medium yellow onions or sweet onions
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp crushed red chilli flakes
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- 220g light brown sugar
- 1.4L root beer
- Hot dog sausages, cooked, for serving
- Brown mustard, for serving
- Mayonnaise, for serving
How to make Sweet and spicy onion relish
1) Peel the onions, cut in half andinto 2cm pieces. Add the onions and the vegetable oil to a large saucepan, over a medium-low heat, and saute until soft.
2) Stir in the black pepper, crushed red chilli flakes, garlic and brown sugar until incorporated. Add half the root beer and allow to reduce until starting to get thick. Stir in the remaining root beer and continue to reduce until the liquid is almost completely evaporated.
3) Serve on top of good quality, natural casing hot dog sausages with a good brown mustard and a little mayonnaise, to taste.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore we cannot make any representation as to the results.