1. Place the ribs in a large pot and add the rest of the ingredients and enough water to cover.
2. Bring to the boil and cook for 30-40 minutes until cooked and the marinade has significantly reduced.
3. Preheat the oven to 230°C or grill. Remove the ribs from the pan and place on a wooden board and cut into riblets. Place in a baking tray and baste with the thickened marinade.
4. Grill in the oven for 5 minutes, on the top rack, keeping a close watch over it, turning them if necessary.
5. As the marinade has sugar in it, watch them in the oven as they can burn quickly –you can open the oven door slightly to stop from burning.
6. Remove to a platter and scatter with red chilli flakes and sliced spring onions.