Recipe by Bobby Chinn
- 340g cod steaks, skinned and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 white fish head, such as cod
- 1 medium ripe tomato, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into 8 equal wedges
- 4 saw leaves, , or 4 tbsp coriander leaves
- 3 to 4 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 2 or more fresh bird's eye or Thai chillies, seeded and thin diagonally
- 60ml fried garlic oil
- Freshly ground black or white pepper
- 200g ripe pineapple, cut into 1/2cm-thick , cored, and cut into bite-size chunks
- 10 leaves holy basil,
How to make Tamarind and Pineapple Fish Soup
Season the fish chunks with salt and pepper and let stand in a cool place.
Put the fish head in a pot with 1.7L water and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the liquid is reduced by 240ml, about 30 minutes. At this time you may discard the fish head if you wish.
Add the tamarind pulp, pineapple, tomato, and chilies and simmer for five minutes.
Add the fish chunks, adjust the seasoning, and simmer until the fish is cooked, three to five minutes.
Serve hot-in a communal bowl or individual soup bowls-garnished with holy basil, saw leaves (or coriander), and fried garlic oil as desired.
- Chicken Rice Soup with Ginger
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Vegetable Fruit Soup
- Stir-Fried Tofu with Roasted Peanut...
- Asian Chicken Salad with Cellophane...
- Thai Beef Salad
- Vietnamese Crab Salad
- Chunky fish soup
- Sweet and Sour Fish Fillets
- Black Pepper Crab
- Khao Tom (Thai Pork Porridge)
- Beef Curry (Madras or Kerala style)...