2) Place a frying pan over high heat with the oil and fry the garlic until fragrant. Add the beef, season with pepper, and stir-fry the beef for no more than 3 minutes. Remove the beef to a bowl, add 1 tbsp of the tamarind water and toss to combine.
3) In another bowl, combine the vegetable mixture, coriander, mint, fried garlic and tamarind beef. Add the remaining tbsp of tamarind water and nuoc mam dipping fish sauce. Toss the salad to combine all the ingredients.
4) Garnish with the peanuts and chilli.
For the nouc mam dipping fish sauce:
1) Combine the fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and water in a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Stir well and cook until just before boiling point is reached, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2) To serve, add the garlic and chilli, then stir in the lime juice. Store tightly sealed in a jar in the fridge, for up to 5 days.