1. Place the split peas and lentils in a sieve and wash under running cold water. Put into a large saucepan with 900ml water and bring to the boil. Skim off any froth that rises to the surface. Stir in the turmeric, then cover the pan and simmer, stirring occasionally for 35-40 minutes, or until the lentils are just tender.
2. Remove from the heat and stir to break down the lentils. The mixture will thicken as it cools. Add a little extra water if it becomes too thick.
3. While the lentils are cooking put the onion, chillies, ginger and garlic into the Kenwood BlendXPro blender and chop using the coarse chop programme.
4. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the cumin and mustard seeds and fry until they begin to pop. Add the onion mixture and fry gently for 4-5 minutes, stir in the coriander, tomatoes and 2 tbsp water. Cook a further 2-3 minutes.
5. Stir the onion mixture into the lentils and season to taste. Sprinkle over the garam masala, cover and stand for 1 minute before gently reheating. Serve with crispy fried onion.
Recipe courtesy of Kenwood's Around the World in 80 Plates