1) Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
2) In a large bowl, mix the beef and pork and gently knead them together with your hands. Add the paprika, salt and pepper. Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix to blend.
3) Do a taste test. Heat a small saucepan and add the vegetable oil. When the oil begins to smoke, lower the heat and add a small piece of the mixture. Cook 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and taste. Check seasoning. If too moist, add more breadcrumbs. If too dry, add an extra egg.
4) Mould the meat into a loaf and place it in the centre of a baking tray lined with baking paper. Using a pan without high edges will yield a meatloaf with a crust. Cook, undisturbed, for 15 minutes. Brush it with additional ketchup and lower the oven temperature to 180C/Gas 4.
5) Bake until the meat is firm when touched or when it has an internal temperature of 93C, about 45 additional minutes.
6) Remove meatloaf from the oven, pour off any excess grease and allow it to rest; for 10-15 minutes before serving. Brush again with ketchup, if desired.