More Recipes You May Like
For the empanadas:
- 600g plain flour
- 30g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsps salt
- 4 tsps baking powder
- 100g vegetable fat
- 250ml chicken stock
- 2 large eggs,
- 2 tbsps water
- Peanut oil, for frying
For the filling:
- 200g blackberries
- 200g wild strawberries, roughly
- 50g goat cheese
- 50g caster sugar
How to make Texas blackberry and strawberry empanadas
1) For the empanadas: in a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder and mix well. Add fat and break it up by hand until it resembles cornflour. Add chicken stock and
2) When the dough has chilled, roll it out to 0.5cm thickness on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin. Cut circles out of the dough with a 10cm round cutter.
3) Spoon a heaped tbsp of filling into the center of each dough circle.
4) Beat the eggs and water together in a small bowl. Brush the egg wash all around the edges of the dough. Fold the dough over the filling to make the circles into half moons. Crimp the edges with the tines of a fork to seal the dough closed.
5) Heat a pan, filled half way up with peanut oil, to 180 degrees C.
6) Fry the empanadas until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes, turning them over occasionally with tongs.
7) For the filling: combine blackberries, strawberries, goat cheese and sugar and mix well.