1. Place coriander seeds in a dry pan over medium-high heat and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Transfer to a mortar. Repeat with cumin seeds. Then grind spices to a fine powder. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
2. Place green chillies into mortar and use a pestle to pound to a smooth paste. Add each of the following ingredients separately, pounding well after addition: lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime peel, shallots and garlic. Stir through shrimp paste and ground spice powder.
3. To cook the curry, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Fry curry paste for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Add chicken and bring back to a simmer. Add bamboo shoots, eggplants and kaffir lime leaves.
4. Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Add fish sauce and sugar. Taste and add more if necessary.
5. Serve with steamed rice.
6. Tips: Using a mortar and pestle for the curry paste allows the ingredients to become bruised and release their natural oils and aromas. You could also start the paste in a mortar and finish in a food processor for a smoother paste.