- 450g farfalle, bow tie pasta
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 5 center cut streaky bacon,
- 1 medium onion,
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 white mushrooms, thinly
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 4 (170-225g) tilapia fillets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 280g frozen peas
- 60g mascarpone cheese
- 45g butter
- 75g plain flour
- 60ml balsamic vinegar
- 25g basil leaves, shredded or torn
How to make Tilapia with balsamic browned butter and creamy farfalle with streaky bacon, tomato and peas
1) Heat a pot of water to a boil, salt the water and cook pasta to al dente.
2) Heat a deep large skillet with 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add bacon and crisp 3 to 4 minutes. Add onions, garlic, bay leaf and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender but not browned, 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, crush them up with a wooden spoon and simmer 15 minutes on low heat.
3) Season the fish with salt and pepper. Dust fish with flour and shake off excess.
4) Heat 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook fish 4 minutes on each side.
5) While fish cooks, stir peas into sauce, return to bubble and stir in mascarpone cheese. Adjust seasoning.
6) Remove fish from skillet to a platter and cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Reduce heat to medium and add butter to pan. Brown butter, 2 to 3 minutes, stir in balsamic vinegar and simmer 1 to 2 minutes to reduce by half. Pour the brown butter and vinegar over fish.
7) Drain pasta, toss with sauce and wilt basil into pasta.
Serve fish with pasta alongside.