2) In a medium-mixing bowl cut the shortening and salt into the flour by hand or with a pastry blender until it's the texture of polenta. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of ice water over the mixture and mix just until the dough is moistened. Repeat by adding 6 to 8 tbsp water (one at a time) until all the dough is just moist. Take care not to over mix.
3) Divide the dough in half and roll into a ball. Roll 1 ball into a circle to fit a 25cm pie plate. To transfer the pastry to the pie plate, wrap it around a rolling pin and ease it into the pie plate. Be careful not to stretch the pastry. Trim it even with the edges of the pie plate.
4) Make the filling: In a medium bowl combine the apples with the brown and white sugar. Add the flour and cinnamon and continue mixing until the apple is well coated.
5) Add the apple filling into the pastry lined pie plate. Make sure the slices are laying flat. Cut butter into small pieces and put on top of the filling.
6) Roll the remaining pastry into a 30cm circle and place on top of the filling. Trim off 2.5cm beyond the edge of the pie plate. Crimp the edges as desired. Cut slits to allow steam to escape when baking. Sprinkle a little sugar and cinnamon over the pie.
7) Cover the edges with foil to prevent over-browning. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pie is golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.