Preheat oven to 220C/Gas 7.
1) Wash and gently scrub potatoes under cold running water to remove any excess dirt and thick skin. Poke with a fork to make holes all over - this allows the moisture to escape while baking. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, season with salt and place into preheated oven.
2) Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until a paring knife goes through cleanly but the potato is still firm to touch.
3) Remove from oven and allow to cool so you can handle them. Cut into large wedges and lay out in a single layer to dry slightly before dusting with a little potato starch. Turn them over and dust again.
4) Heat some oil in a large pot to 180C.
5) Fry the potatoes in batches for 5 to 7 minutes until golden brown. Drain on kitchen towels and season with salt immediately.
Serving suggestion: in a paper cone sitting in a coffee mug