1/2 large carrot, peeled and grated or finely chopped
1 small to medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, 2 chopped or grated, 1 peeled
1/2 tsp allspice, a couple of pinches
Freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
3 tbsp tomato puree
125ml dry red wine
500ml beef stock
Try Knorr Stock Pots
Add depth of flavour to an array of slow-cooked meals with Knorr Stock Pots. Available in a range of flavours, from Chicken to Beef and Vegetable to Herb Infusion, these stock pots are quick and easy to use, melting in minutes.
Find Out More
3 tbsp flour
Nutmeg, to taste
50g grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus some to pass at table
1) Bring a large pot of water to the oil, salt water and cook pasta to al dente.
2) Whilst pasta water comes to the boil, heat olive oil in a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, add pancetta and render 2 to 3 minutes then add meat and break up as it browns.
3) When the meat has begun to caramelise and develops a nice brown colour, 4 to 5 minutes, add carrot, onion, 2 cloves of garlic, allspice, salt and pepper and a bay leaf. Cook 3 to 4 minutes more to soften onions and carrots bits then stir in tomato puree and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in wine and cook out 1 minute. Stir in stock and reduce heat to simmer.
4) Whilst red sauce cooks, cut remaining whole clove of garlic and rub the inside of a medium sauce pot with it. Melt butter in pot over medium heat. Add flour and whisk together a minute or so then whisk in milk and bring to a bubble, reduce heat then season sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg, thicken 8 to 10 minutes.
5) Toss pasta with white sauce and 50g grated cheese. Serve pasta in individual bowls and top with a ladle of meat sauce in the middle of the bowl for mixing in.