450g andouille or spicy Italian spicy sausage, cut in chunks
35g plain flour
500ml chicken stock
Try Knorr Stock Pots
Add depth of flavour to an array of slow-cooked meals with Knorr Stock Pots. Available in a range of flavours, from Chicken to Beef and Vegetable to Herb Infusion, these stock pots are quick and easy to use, melting in minutes.
Find Out More
2 to 3 bay leaves
910g large prawn, peeled and deveined, tails on
Pinch cayenne pepper, adjust to personal preference
1) Place a 3-litre pot over medium-high heat. Add the milk and cream. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal.
2) When the grits begin to bubble, turn the heat down to medium low and simmer, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. Allow to cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and thick. Remove from heat and stir in the butter, thin it out with a little extra cream. Season with salt and pepper.
For the prawn:
1) Place a deep skillet over medium heat and coat with the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic; saute for 2 minutes to soften. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, until there is a fair amount of fat in the pan and the sausage is brown.
2) Sprinkle in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to create a roux. Slowly pour in the chicken stock and continue to stir to avoid lumps. Toss in the bay leaves.
3) When the liquid comes to a simmer, add the prawn. Poach the prawn in the stock for 2 to 3 minutes, until they are firm and pink and the gravy is smooth and thick.
4) Add the cayenne pepper, Tabasco and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper; stir in the parsley and green onion. Spoon the grits into a serving bowl. Add the prawn mixture and mix well. Serve immediately.