The Ultimate Steak Sandwich
Tyler's Fennel Slaw transforms his steak sandwich.
1) Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and stir constantly to incorporate - you do not want any colour.
2) Gradually pour in the milk as you stir, and whisk out any lumps. As the mixture thickens continue to stir until it reaches the boil - this ensures the flour is cooked completely.
3) Add the cheese and stir for another minute until cheese is completely melted. Stir in the horseradish and season with salt and pepper, then set aside to keep warm.
For the rocket mayonnaise:
1) Put rocket in a food processor with the lemon juice and salt and pepper. Top with mayonnaise and process until well combined. Give it a taste and adjust seasoning if required.
For the steak sandwich:
1) Take the finely sliced steak and shingle it out into 2 portions on a clean cutting board lined with greaseproof paper. Put the shingled meat between 2 pieces of cling film and pound out using either a saute pan or a meat mallet.
2) After first pounding, remove the cling film, fold in the edges, replace plastic and pound the meat some more. Store wrapped in plastic in the refrigerator. Now the meat is ready when you want to cook it.
3) Heat a large, flat griddle-pan over medium heat. Split hoagie rolls in half, drizzle with olive oil and place onto griddle.
4) Take the meat out of the refrigerator. Peel off 1 side of the cling film and season with salt and pepper. Put this side down in the pan and then quickly peel off the other side of the plastic wrap and season again. Cook slowly in the pan until juicy and tender and just past pink in colour. Turn the meat over and then fold with some of the cheese sauce.
5) To serve, smear each half of the roll with rocket mayonnaise. Top the bottom with the steak and cheese, then lay a scoop of fennel slaw over the top.