What a face! Open faced hot turkey sammys with sausage stuffing and gravy, smashed potatoes with bacon, warm apple cranberry sauce
Recipe by Rachael Ray
For the smashed potatoes:
- 900g new potatoes or baby Maris Piper potatoes
- 125ml sour cream
- 30g butter
- 3 strips par cooked streaky bacon, crisped in microwave and (recommended: Ready Crisp)
- Salt and pepper
For the warm apple cranberry sauce:
- 250ml store bought apple sauce
- 1 (400g) can whole berry cranberry sauce
For the stuffing:
- 2 wholemeal bread
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 450g maple sausage, bulk or removed from large link casing
- 1 medium onion,
- 2 celery ribs,
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 250ml chicken stock or turkey stock
- For Turkey and Gravy:
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 30g butter
- 500ml chicken stock or turkey stock
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- A few grinds black pepper
- 675 to 900g turkey breast meat: roasted turkey breast or thick-cut deli turkey
- 4 wholemeal bread
- 25g flat-leaf parsley or chives, for garnish
How to make What a face! Open faced hot turkey sammys with sausage stuffing and gravy, smashed potatoes with bacon, warm apple cranberry sauce
Preheat a medium skillet over medium high heat.
1) Place potatoes in a medium pot. Cut larger potatoes in half. Leave smaller baby potatoes whole. Cover potatoes with water and top with a lid. Place over high heat. When the water boils, salt water and cook potatoes with the lid off pot for 10 to 11 minutes, until tender.
2) Place a second low pot on the stove top over medium-high heat. Add apple sauce and tinned cranberry sauce. Stir to combine and gently heat through, about 10 minutes.
3) Toast 2 whole grain bread and butter heavily, 1/2 tablespoon per . into small cubes and reserve.
4) Add extra-virgin olive oil and sausage meat to preheated skillet. Brown and crumble the sausage with a wooden spoon or heat safe spatula. Add onions and celery to the skillet then season with poultry seasoning and salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes. Add bread to the skillet and stir to combine. Dampen the stuffing with chicken stock and stir to combine. Turn off heat and cover pan loosely with aluminum foil to hold heat.
5) Preheat a second skillet over medium heat to prepare turkey and gravy.
6) Drain cooked potatoes and return to hot pot. Smash with soured cream, butter and crisped, bacon. Season the smashed potatoes with salt and pepper. If they are too thick, thin them out with milk or a splash of broth.
7) Add 30g butter to preheated skillet and melt it. in flour and cook 1 minute. in 500ml stock or broth. Add the poultry seasoning, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper to the gravy. Allow it to thicken slightly.
8) Cut roasted turkey meat away from the breast bones of rotisserie turkey breast. If you are using deli turkey, remove from packaging and separate . Set turkey into gravy.
9) Place a bread on dinner plate. Use a large ice cream scoop to place a mound of stuffing on the bread. Place turkey on top of stuffing. Serve smashed potatoes and cranberries on the side. Spoon the extra gravy over potatoes and turkey sandwiches. Sprinkle the plates with parsley or chives and serve.
- Grilled fish sammies with garlic ta...
- Salisbury steak with wild mushroom....
- Chicken and waffle monte cristos wi...
- Mashed sweet potatoes, pork chop wi...
- Turkey cutlets with gravy and raw s...
- Sloppy Buffalo joes
- Mozzarella stuffed chicken sausage....
- Raffy's turkey sausage and chestnut...
- Chicken satay salad sammies
- Rasher bacon, spinach and cream pot...
- Warm spinach salad
- Turkey Cutlets with Sausage and Zuc...