Wild mushroom grits with poached eggs and serrano chilli sauce and blue corn tortilla strips
950ml to 1 1/5L homemade chicken stock or low-sodium tinned chicken or vegetable stock
Try Knorr Stock Pots
Add depth of flavour to an array of slow-cooked meals with Knorr Stock Pots. Available in a range of flavours, from Chicken to Beef and Vegetable to Herb Infusion, these stock pots are quick and easy to use, melting in minutes.
Find Out More
1 cup finely ground yellow polenta
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
2 tbsps freshly grated cotija cheese, to sprinkle over finished dish
1) Heat 5cm of oil in a large high-sided saute pan over medium heat until it reaches 180C on a deep-fry thermometer. Add the tortilla strips in batches and fry until just crisp, about 20 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels and season with salt. Set aside.
1) Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
2) In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the remaining oil and onion, cooking until soft. Add 4 cups of the stock and bring to a boil. Slowly add the polenta, whisking constantly, and continue to whisk until thickened. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the polenta is soft, stirring constantly and adding more stock if needed, about 10 minutes.
3) Reduce the heat to low and stir in the mascarpone cheese, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and then stir in the mushrooms. Remove from the heat.
Serrano chilli sauce:
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the onion and serrano chillies and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the cream, wine and vinegar and cook until reduced by a third. Transfer the mixture to a blender, add the spinach, honey, salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
1) Bring the water and vinegar to a simmer in a high-sided saute pan. Break the eggs, one at a time, into a ramekin and carefully slide each egg into the simmering water. Cook for about 3 minutes until the whites have firmed up but the yolks are still soft. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.
Spoon some of the grits into a shallow bowl and top with a poached egg. Drizzle with some of the serrano chilli sauce, top with some tortilla strips, sprinkle with the grated cotija cheese and garnish with the coriander seeds. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.