1) Twelve hours prior to cooking, trim fat cap to 1/2 cm thickness from pork shoulder. Season heavily with dry rub. Place in plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
2) Remove pork from refrigerator 2 hours prior to cooking to come to room temperature.
3) Prepare smoker to temperature of 90 to 100 degrees C and place 1 handful of hickory chips and 1 handful of apple chips on hot coals.
4) Place pork shoulder in smoker and smoke for 14 to 16 hours adding 1 handful of hickory and 1 handful of apple chips every 4 hours. After 5 hours in smoker, begin spraying generously with apple juice every 2 hours.
5) Pork will be done when the internal temperature reaches 85 to 90 degrees C.
6) Pull or chop meat as desired and top with your favorite sauce!