1) Twelve hours prior to cooking, trim the fat cap of the shoulder to 1/2cm thickness. Season heavily with the dry rub. Place in a plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
2) Remove the pork from the refrigerator 2 hours prior to cooking so it comes to room temperature.
3) Prepare a smoker to a temperature of 95-100C and place one handful of hickory chips and one handful of apple chips on the hot coals.
4) Place the pork shoulder in the smoker and smoke for 14-16 hours, adding one handful of hickory and one handful of apple chips every 4 hours. After 5 hours in the smoker, begin spraying the pork generously with apple juice every 2 hours.
5) Pork will be done when the internal temperature reaches 75-86C.
Pull or chop the meat as desired and top with your favourite sauce!